Last Updated on: 7th February 2019, 01:29 pm
By: Natalie B. DeClusin, Attorney at Law
SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA – With the San Diego Boat Show just days away on January 8-11, 2009, it is clear that another fun-filled California summer is right around the corner. The San Diego Boat Show offers hundreds of exhibits, multiple daily seminars, products to purchase, and spectacular raffle prizes. There is even a seminar entitled “Trends Toward Greener Boating” for those environmentally-conscious boat enthusiasts.
Boating offers some of the greatest thrills and excitement that can be found in San Diego. However, for some, this rush overshadows the very serious responsibilities and safety concerns that come with engaging in water sports. While boaters cannot control the irresponsible conduct of others, it is possible for them to be proactive in protecting themselves and their families. By following these tips, boaters may better protect themselves from unexpected dangers.
- Take a boating education course — one of the main factors contributing to boating accidents is operator inexperience.
- Make sure to maintain your boat, and have it checked regularly.
- Ensure that every person on the vessel is wearing a proper life vest.
- Stay alert to your surroundings to avoid getting lost.
- Check weather conditions before going out.
- Have a working marine radio onboard at all times — and, more importantly, know how to use it!
- NEVER operate a boat after you have been drinking — Not only does this put others in danger, but it also delays your reaction time, making you less able to protect yourself from other boaters’ irresponsible and dangerous behavior.
Boating accidents are a frequent occurrence on California’s waterways. Being mindful of these tips will enable boaters to protect themselves as best they can from the dangers of operating watercrafts. At Berman & Riedel, LLP we are experienced in handling all personal injury cases, including those involving boating and other watercraft accidents. Our experienced attorneys cannot stress the importance of taking protective measures while out on the water. However, in the event that you or a loved one has been the victim of a boating or watercraft accident, please do not hesitate to call. Berman & Riedel, LLP will apply its extensive experience and knowledge to provide you with the most helpful and honest legal advice.
Natalie DeClusin is an associate at Berman & Riedel, LLP, a San Diego-based personal injury firm that prides itself on being a diligent and tireless advocate that represents its clients to the fullest extent possible.